Sunday, March 6, 2011

Sunday of the trout opener

After getting out yesterday for a nice outing I didn't get to fish all that much today only from 12:30-2:30. Stayed in Dane County and fished two new streams in the Southwestern portion of the county. Trout were not very active today, but I ended up catching 11 browns and 1 brookie. Sun was very high and the air temperature was only 28 degrees. Threw everything in the box at them and also fly fished for about an hour. Water was very clear and the fish were holding very tight to cover. Early in the afternoon I was getting a bunch of followers, but very few takers. Switched over to my fly rod and caught a few 10-13 inch brown trout on a pink squirrel. Biggest fish of the day was a 17 inch brown trout.
Also saw a bunch of turkeys, deer, eagles and a very friendly red fox (wish I got a good picture of him)

                                                                First stream I hit today
                                                        First fish on my fly-rod in 2011
                                                          Stream number 2 of the day
                           Biggest trout of the day about 17 inches. I missed a much bigger one as well.
                                                                Only Brookie today

1 comment:

  1. Sure some pretty water there today. Very tempting! Nice fish and congrats on a successful weekend.

    ReplyDelete